•  

Access to tools and permission take on trail work?

September 16, 2014, 06:40 PM

As a Madison renter sitting in his office / bike shop / tool shed, how do I go about getting tools to work on a trail?  I was out at Camrock this weekend and attempted to do the expert loop but it is completely grown over.  I don't have a weed whacker to tackle that, but would really like to bring that trail back (and area 51 but that is another discussion).  After the initial downhill you wind up on that climb / bermed downhill (?) and when you climb to find the rest of the trail it's so overgrown you can barely see where it once was.  Attached is a map with this climb / bermed downhill in RED in case you don't know what I'm referring to.  Let's call it red trail.  Red trail has effectively cut off the expert loop, and I don't really understand what its purpose is, either entrance feels like I'm going the wrong way (another discussion again I guess), and looks pretty unused based on how many branches and stuff remain on the trail.  Ideally I would like to reroute expert loop by losing the first downhill and simply connecting with expert loop by crossing red trail (green on the map).  But that can happen after reviving existing trail. 
    I participated in the IMBA trail building class a few years back, and have done a couple work days so I feel confident to lead an impromptu group on this effort.  Is it better to clear out a trail in the fall when some of the foliage falls back a bit or is it dumb because it will all just grow back in the spring?  Or is spring a better option?
     So, Chuck, what's my next step?  Thanks for your help!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

September 17, 2014, 11:02 PM

The best time to get Cliff Edge back in shape is now. Growth for the year is pretty much over, and anything done now will hold until the growing season gets going in earnest again next year.
    There seems to be a lot of confusion on the Cliff Edge trail routing with the race trail cut in. You will also see it from this thread: http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=2379.msg17989#msg17989
    Maybe you, Jonsyp, and I should all meet out there and go through it. I am sure he would welcome the help as it had become a big job at this point. I rode the entire trail route about three weeks ago and was able to barely get through, but I am a serious bushwhacker. Jon tried to go out and trim it after that. But again, I think there is confusion as to the proper route. We also need to properly shut down the route that is supposed to only be open on the Battle of CamRock race day.
    PM me here or text or call me at 7:SEVEN:2 7:EIGHT THREE:3. My schedule is pretty crazy right now, but I have some availability from now until the 28th. The following week is completely out for me with World Dairy Expo and another CamRock Climbers School race.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

September 18, 2014, 08:29 AM

but would really like to bring that trail back (and area 51 but that is another discussion)

The TTF crew decided to move the 'Slippery Moose' scout feature to Area 51 after we lost the first section of the Outback. The same goes for what was the Wolf Pack boardwalk which has been broken up and repurposed as smaller bridges over the drainage through Area 51. For better flow the direction of travel was reversed and the trail is flagged to be rerouted. We started in May/June and due to schedules conflicts have not been able to get back to it. The TTF crew was also the main work force getting the Seminole trails laid out and cleared. There were well over 50 hrs spent with which Area 51 could have been completed. The priority for the club this summer has been Seminole and now that is has been handed off to Nick the TTF crew can focus on outstanding projects. However before Area 51 gets completed we will be working with Jeff at QR on the largest feature we have built to date. It has been put off for nearly a year and we want to get it done before winter.

As an aside it would be a great help to get a new trail steward for CR as Chuck has moved into another board position and isn't able to give trail work as much attention as he has in the past.