•  

Downed trees

April 17, 2012, 07:33 PM

Kinda new around here (not to CamRock, but to this forum).  Not sure if this is the best spot to alert the chainsaw wielding folks, but a just got back from riding.  Couple trees down:

1. In Area 51, just past the log pile after the hairpin tight (between trees) turn.

2. In the Outback just after the jump or step-up or whatever it's called after the new berm (nice work on that by the way).  This one may not actually need a chainsaw - it's very dead and light, and two relatively strong people (I'm only one relatively strong person and was riding solo) could probably just move it.

Otherwise, trails are in great condition.  Love both of the new downhills from the parking lot.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 17, 2012, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up Kapow ;) And especially for the locations.

I was hiking yesterday waiting for the trails to dry, and cut two downed trees off the trail with my handy folding saw I carry in my Camelback. One on Stonefly and one off Corkscew. Also pulled a couple more pieces off the trail, and removed about 1000 sticks.

With the wind the last couple of days I figured there had to be more. I had planned to do a post last night to give a heads up for folks heading out today but it slipped away in the detritus of my mind. So thanks for the heads up. And it might be a coupe of days before I can get to them. Though with the rain predicted the next couple days it might not be an issue.

There are also two down on Beer Run if you are coming in from Rockdale. Let me know if there are any more.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 18, 2012, 04:39 PM

Tree in Outback is gone. Thanks Tim (I think).
    Heading out to remove trees from Beer Cave trail tonight. Five trees down there.
    Prolly won't get to Area 51. It is in a safe place and not a danger to riders. Too big to remove without chainsaw. Will get to it when I can.
    I rode everything else today and things are in really good shape.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:41 PM by TheMayor1 »

XXX

April 20, 2012, 03:36 AM

I wish I could take credit!  I didn't notice a tree down in outback at all, must have been removed prior to our covert ride!  Or I just jumped it without noticing, it was dark!

I did kick a bunch of sticks off the trail. 

Rode everything except the expert area and only came across the one on area 51 that was pretty obvious and not moving by the hands of Rick and I!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 20, 2012, 09:00 AM

Tree in Outback is gone. Thanks Tim (I think).
    Heading out to remove trees from Beer Cave trail tonight. Five trees down there.
    Prolly won't get to Area 51. It is in a safe place and not a danger to riders. Too big to remove without chainsaw. Will get to it when I can.
    I rode everything else today and things are in really good shape.
    Didn't get the trees off Beer Cave the other night. Chainsaw is giving me fits. Hope to get to it tomorrow. I did get it almost all of the way blown off and clear before I ran out of gas. It was a difficult night for motorized tools ::)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 20, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'll be at Area 51 tonight clearing some briars. I threw the saw in for the tree there. If I have time I'll get the one on the beer cave trail as well.
    XXX
    JHenry

April 20, 2012, 07:24 PM

Cleared  8)
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 20, 2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks Josh. You may not be my official assistant this year, but you are still getting' it done for me :-)
    I really appreciate it!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry

April 20, 2012, 11:19 PM

Clarification:

Didn't get to beer cave. Forgot about it  :-\
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 21, 2012, 12:07 AM

Clarification:

Didn't get to beer cave. Forgot about it  :-\
    Oh. Well then I take back everything nice I ever said about you ;)

~ Chuck Hutchens