•  

First time riding Cam-Rock

July 29, 2012, 05:18 PM

Wow, what a great place to ride!  Very tight, lots of ups and downs.  During that last up (which was the largest one out there based on my GPS app) as I was finding my back to the parking lot while exhausted I'll admit to dropping down to the smallest chainring.  It was a loose grind.

The TTF's were very fun.  And there is that jump with an uphill landing.  I need to figure out how to maintain enough speed to clear the uphill and land on top.  I got pretty close the last attempt but only rode it a couple of times.  I pulled a piece of broken and sharp plastic off of the landing on that jump.

I stopped at Cam-Rock Sports to relax with a brew on the way home.  I'd love to catch a breakfast-lunch there with the family.

I will definitely be back!  It's like a smaller scale Southern Kettles with everything being tighter.  My right shoulder is bruised from hitting some of those big trees trying to thread through.

To all those here who helped make Cam-Rock happen, thank you!  I have just gotten back into biking this year and have helped do some trailbuiding with CORP's.  From that I know how hard it is to build a trail.  So thank you for the system all you volunteers built!

Anyone have any objections if I carry a smaller pruner in my pack and cut back the light vegetation that is growing over the tops of the trails and we have to duck under?  I'd like to help out when I ride there so let me know what I can do.

Corey

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:45 PM by Corey. »

XXX
    Colin519

July 29, 2012, 09:10 PM

I rode there this late morning and this was my first time back in about a year, and the outside expert sections are really nice, flowing.  (some of the berms could be built up a little more after the wood skinny's)
    The down tree in the expert section was by far the best line (went back and rode it 5-6x, and made some video;s of it too)

The bob sled run is chalk full of overgrowth, and nearly had to walk more than half of it.  I didn't really look like many people have been on it recently.  Lots and lots of thorns around (and in my arms after the ride)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 29, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the note and the nice things about CamRock. I'm glad you had a fun ride. I look forward to meeting you at future CORP events. Keep an eye out here for more goings-on with CORP. And don't forget the Monday Night Rode and Folly each week at CamRock Sport!

As for carrying loppers, I would love the help. I finally got out today on part of the trail and there are a number of things that are hanging low. I think some naturally as they are growing, and much of it because of drought stress. It is not normal to see this much above needing trimming a few weeks after everything was in top shape for the Battle race.

As for how to cut: A basic rule is to cut much more than you would think is needed. Often it makes sense to remove the entire branch, otherwise it will only grow back and need to be trimmed again. And if you are not removing the entire branch, ALWAYS cut back to the "Y" in the branches. Never leave a branch that dead-ends. As it dies back it will form a sharp stick waiting to get someone in the eye or face. It can be very dangerous. Also if removing the entire branch cut fairly close to the trunk. Again don't leave a branch sticking out.

Thanks in advance for the help :D With the rain things are starting to grow again at CamRock and we will need to get back to other trimming as well. As always, any help is appreciated. We will always get you to a trimmer or mower to get out and lend a hand.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 29, 2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info Mayor, I love your trails down there.   :)

Gonna get back out there next chance I have and I'm more than glad to pick up trash and help groom the trails.

Actually, with some of those bermed descents tonight I was eyeing the 15 year old almost mint condition Bontrager BMX Cruiser hanging from my garage ceiling.  That would be a beast on the climbs but it would be tons of fun on the descents.  I might need to take that along on one of the trips.   :)

I need to learn the trails better so I have an idea of what I can take my family on (wife is mtn biker, but have 7 and 12 year old kids).  Any advice on loops that would be good for beginners without running into anything too gnarly?

Corey

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 29, 2012, 11:56 PM

I have a beginner mountain biker wife, 6 and 10 year olds on the trails out there, so I have a pretty good idea. Though everyone's ability and aggressiveness varies.

Easiest routes:
    If coming from CR III parking lot: beginner downhill to the Mayors Meander to Connector. Stay on Veritas in the Expert Woods and Connector again in reverse to CR III.
    From CamRock Sport in Cambridge. Ride to bridge. Stay on the Connector or Veritas and you will be fine.
    All of the trails are also marked on the maps according to ability. Markings are the same as ski areas, green for beginner, blue for intermediate, black for expert. Follow that and you will be OK.

That being said, my 6 and 10 year olds ride all the trails in the park except Cliff Edge. My wife prefers the Connector but is working up to Gettin' Started and Rattlesnake.

~ Chuck Hutchens