•  

She Needs Trimmming!

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2012, 10:34 AM

On the top this time ;) I about took my head off on the apple tree last night. I know I have an exceptionally large one. Bike I mean. But I have also been accused of being vertically challenged. So I figure if I am hitting my head or ducking 10 times on a lap of CamRock, others are doing the same. Any help in getting the overhanging limbs trimmed back would be appreciated. It is not normal to see this much above needing trimming a few weeks after everything was in top shape for the Battle race. The drought brings it's own challenges. I think a lot of this is because of drought stress creating sagging trees.

As for how to cut: A basic rule is to cut more than you would think is needed. Often it makes sense to remove the entire branch, otherwise it will only grow back and need to be trimmed again. And if you are not removing the entire branch, ALWAYS cut back to the "Y" in the branches. Never leave a branch that dead-ends. As it dies back it will form a sharp stick waiting to get someone in the eye or face. It can be very dangerous. Also if removing the entire branch cut fairly close to the trunk. Again don't leave a branch sticking out.

Also keep this in mind. A guote from IMBA's Trail Solutions book: "While it is necessary to keep the trail corridor free of obstructing vegetation, such work should seek to avoid "day-lighting" the trail corridor when possible. Excessive opening of the overstory allows greater sunlight penetration that permits greater vegetation compositional change and colonization by non-native plants.

If you need a loppers let me know and I can get you to one. If you own a pair just stick them in your pack and carry with you on your next ride. If they catch on a branch, stop a couple of times to take care of those darn annoying branches and we will be back in shape in no time :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 01:53 PM

To add to Chuck, if you pick a spot to lop the offending branch at the trunk of the tree, do so at the same level all the way around NOT any higher as to keep from "day-lighting" the trail. If its a small branch on a mature tree your best bet it to take it at the collar (where the branch meets the trunk).

Chuck, do we have a file out there? I'll go ahead and make sure all the loppers are nice and sharp this week.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2012, 02:16 PM

Sorry Dave, but none out there. I always brought them home to shapren. Good idea though. We should get a file and keep it at the shelter. Pick one up if you can. I am sure we can get reimbursed through the CORP slush fund  ;)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 06:11 PM

Sorry Dave, but none out there. I always brought them home to shapren. Good idea though. We should get a file and keep it at the shelter. Pick one up if you can. I am sure we can get reimbursed through the CORP slush fund  ;)

Slush fund! Hell I remember sweating my ass off on top of that hill to make that more than a slush fund! lol. But yes I will expense it. Just felt like busting your nuts a bit. :)

XXX

August 01, 2012, 10:15 AM

I'm going to have to say that IMBA doesn't know what its talking about this time. Invasive species in our woodland here in the midwest are associated with too much shade. Native plants are adapted to more open woodland with 'park-like' conditions, IE more light. Native plants will compete better with more light.... the whole park needs "day-lighting'. Honestly, I'm not sure that would apply, maybe the south or northwest or northeast, not the midwest, southwest or southern rockies.

I'm going out there this evening, I'll try to remember to bring my ratcheting clippers and folding saw. If I find anything offensive I'll nip it... but I'm pretty short.

Here's a link to the proper "3-cut" method of limb pruning. Its really best for the plants health if this is done during the dormant season (so pathogens can't enter the wound), but most of the stuff near the trails at Cam-Rock are invasive species anyway so its probably not a big deal.

EDIT: Fixed link.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:03 AM by GoodOak »

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 01, 2012, 10:57 AM

Good info man! Also the linky no working. Good link is: http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/pruning-deciduous-trees

XXX

August 02, 2012, 08:22 AM

Well, I was feeling crummy yesterday so my ride was abbreviated, but I did find the whole top of a cherry tree down on IMBA Influence. There is also a very low hanging box elder at the end of this section, right  before the 180 turn where you get to the Outback intersection. Area 51 had a lot of overhanging multiflora rose (invasive) and blackberry. But didn't see any other low hanging branches... but like I said, I didn't ride everything, none of the "old" singletrack. I might be able to help out cutting this stuff up on Saturday morning if anyone is into that.

XXX

August 02, 2012, 10:57 AM

I took care of the tree on IMBA Influence last night.  The low hanging trunks at the start of Veritas will need a chainsaw and soon.  It seems like I have to duck a little lower everytime I go out there.  I would hate for someone to clip their helmet or light set-up on one.

XXX

August 11, 2012, 10:54 PM

I was planning on riding tomorrow and will trim if I get out there.  My son loves trail building and maintenance so if we get out there I will follow the suggestions and trim where we can.

It's all dependent on whether I have legs (did my first brick today) and family time.

If we make it out we will carry trail tools.

Corey

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 14, 2012, 01:36 PM

I'll be out mowing possibly Thursday and Saturday this week. We got trimmers, the DR, the death mower, and loppers that should beat back the beast to get ready for Pitch Black!

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 16, 2012, 03:11 PM

I am heading out to CR after work and should be there around 5ish to mow and lop. Give me a call if you want to come help. 608-515-4080

Dave

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 16, 2012, 10:17 PM

I mowed and lopped everything on Dave's Deer Path, Cannonball Connector, Raspberry Fields, Rip N Ride. I also mowed everything from the pavilion to the Roundabout. From there I mowed and lopped up to Sumac Slalom. If anyone goes out the rest of the outward connector needs mowed and lopped. Remember when lopping cut it WAY back to the trunk or intersection of a branch.

So if you are out and feeling frisky definitely take a pair of clippers or loppers and hit anything that might pose a problem. Think of riders for Pitch Black, they will have lights on their heads so cut the corridor enough for that and you should be good.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

August 20, 2012, 05:08 PM

I've received reports that from Sumac Slalom to IMBA Influence definitely needs to be hit. The worst may be along the corn bean field at the end of Burr Oak Breezeway. Cold and wet feet suck in the middle of the night so come out and help get the trail whipped into submission  ;) I expect to be out there Friday to use the DR to touch up the checkpoint but my hand isn't ready for anything but mowing in straight lines  :(

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:42 PM by JHenry »

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 20, 2012, 10:05 PM

Count on me for Friday. My week is pretty booked the rest of it.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

August 20, 2012, 10:14 PM

Oh and it looked like someone already got Sumac with a trimmer when I went riding through there tonight. Woodchuck to around Corkscrew is bushy as well. About 3 or so more man hours to wip it into shape. If y'all go out to ride hand loppers will do a ton to cut back the eye pokers.