•  

Great Sauk Trail

September 22, 2014, 01:23 PM

Planning has begun for a rail to trail connecting Sauk City up to Devils Lake State park. I know it isn't mountain bike trails but having more bikers share their input would help it be more bike friendly. Please look a the page and fill out the survey!

The proposed Great Sauk Trail will connect the villages of Sauk City and Prairie du Sac to the southern part of Devil's Lake State Park. This trail would provide public recreation opportunities and possibilities for connections between existing state and local trails. The majority of the eight mile trail will follow an existing rail corridor through the former Badger Army Ammunition Plant, now the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area. The planning process for the proposed Great Sauk Trail will determine the route (including potential loops, access points and trail head locations), trail uses, construction specifications (including trail surface, parking areas and trail heads) and estimated cost.

If you take the survey please say that you want the bridge to be rebuilt and to route the trail through the residential and industrial area in town.  I am personally also advocating for asphalt surface so I can get my skinny tire bike out when blue mounds is too muddy to ride.  Snowmobile, 4 wheeler, and horse groups are trying to get a hold of this trail also so if you have 2 cents on how well they work with bikes put that in the comments too.

info page
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/greatsauktrail/

survey link
    https://uwex.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2bPj6IPasxpN0u9

XXX

September 22, 2014, 03:43 PM

Done!

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

September 22, 2014, 03:56 PM

Done

XXX

September 22, 2014, 04:19 PM

Done, exciting opportunity!

I remember rumblings about another new rail trail near Brooklyn, WI but can't find anything.  Did I convince myself of something that isn't real or can anyone point me in the right direction?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 22, 2014, 04:53 PM

A nice easy survey. Done to support more biking opportunities!

~ Chuck Hutchens