•  

Bontrager Wheels

December 30, 2014, 12:35 PM

Due to a great deal I can't turn down I'm looking to upgrade my WORS race bike (Superfly 100 Pro SL) wheels from the current set of Race Lites.  I'm looking for a wheel set that will work for the entire season and not just race day (don't want to spend the money on something I can't use all the time).  I'm looking at the Race X Lite and Rhythm Elite wheels and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I like the RXL weight but the hubs do not use the new Bontrager Rapid Drive which claim under 7 degree engagement.  The Rhythm Elites have the Rapid Drive hub but are ~240 grams heavier.  Which is more important for XC racing?

Are the Rhythm PRO and XXX wheels just race day wheels and are they worth the cost?  I know you gain more losing 5-10 lbs at the gym and getting saddle time but it's always fun to daydream about upgrading the bike especially when you can get a discount!  ;D

XXX

December 30, 2014, 01:06 PM

I have RXL wheels on my Hifi Pro and Rhythm Pro's on my Rumble Fish Pro.  I jam on both bikes all season long, never had any issues.  I would troll ebay and craigslist.   Got a backup set of rxl's for $100.  There was a seller of a recent model rxl's on Madison CL that couldn't unload them for $175 for a long while, not sure if they are still up for sale.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

December 30, 2014, 03:53 PM

I have the new RXL's..... DT 240's, DT aerolite straight pull spokes, pretty light, swapable endcaps, etc. I would highly recommend them. You can get 54-tooth star ratchets, which gives them a 6.67deg engagement..

The RXL and XXX wheels are a 24mm wide extrusion, while the Rhythm wheels are the wider 28mm extrusion. The XXX rims are pretty light duty.