•  

Oct 26

Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 26, 2013, 08:10 PM

I cut a couple trees today but left at least one for the chainsaw gods. I also blew the leaves off Pokerville. Over Lode is also clear of leaves for the time being.  The leaf blowing is probably done for now until the remainder of the leaves fall in a couple weeks.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

October 27, 2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks Gary. I'm looking forward to riding at Blue Mound with you today and trying out the freshly cleared trails!

Walt

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

October 27, 2013, 09:13 PM

Get out and ride BM. Trails are awsome. Holy Schist was a little hard to follow at times but otherwise was great. Rode just about everything at least once. Got 15+ miles in about 2 1/2 hrs. Only went over the handlebars once  ;D

Big Thanks Gary and Walt for all you do out there  8)

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 27, 2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks Greg, glad you had a good time today.  I was amazed that the parking lot was so full, but there were also a lot of hikers (they seem to really come out of the cracks after leaf blowing and fall colors). Agreed about the trails being awesome, unfortunately the latter part of Holy Schist from the top of Kipp's Climb and Home Stretch has not seen leaf blower love yet.  If you didn't get out this weekend, shame.  It's supposed to rain the middle and end of the week and then the drying time will be uncertain.

I had a pretty good ride today minus the stupid fall I had on Chert Dip.  One of those zero mph things where I tried not to dab and insisted on being an idiot, and paid the price of fools.  Luckily just (another) bone bruise on my knee, not as bad as the one I (somehow) gave myself at Ray's last winter.

I say this every year, but I'll say it again in public.  Pokerville is an awesome and totally underrated and underused trail, and is even more awesome when it's been cleared of leaves and other junk, like it was today and will be again.  It rides great as an out-and-back.  Assuming the variance gets approved I'm really hoping everything can be tied together into an epic loop that includes everything, and Walt and I have already talked about this and minimizing the use of double track/ski trail to make this happen.

XXX

October 29, 2013, 10:40 AM

finally rode BM for the first time last weekend w/ my 4-yr old son. we had a great time! trails were in good shape and the fall colors were amazing.

thanks for all you do out there to build and maintain the trails. probably would have gone over the handlebars a few times if the trails hadn't been blown off. some of those gully crossings like to suck up front tires.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

October 29, 2013, 07:25 PM

finally rode BM for the first time last weekend w/ my 4-yr old son. we had a great time! trails were in good shape and the fall colors were amazing.

thanks for all you do out there to build and maintain the trails. probably would have gone over the handlebars a few times if the trails hadn't been blown off. some of those gully crossings like to suck up front tires.

Were you out Sunday afternoon? If so, I think I saw you and your son at the trail head. Good to hear it went OK for you two.

We will be putting in work next year to make the beginner section more friendly to beginner riders. The park manager has indicated he will allow us to do some rerouting so we can eliminate that gnarly rock-over near the start, and some other improvements are in the works too.

Walt

XXX

October 30, 2013, 09:07 AM

Yup, we were out Sunday afternoon. Yes, it would be nice to have alternate routes around trail features that aren't rideable by beginners. Hopefully we'll have a few more good riding days out there before winter. Thanks again for everything you've done to build and maintain the trails.