•  

Spring update

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

May 18, 2014, 06:23 PM

We're still at least a week of dry weather away from opening the trails this year. There's a lot of water still draining out of the mound and it takes very little additional rainfall to make it soupy again.

Late last year it was discovered that part of a boundary line between Blue Mound State Park and one of the neighbors had been marked incorrectly. That neighbor has requested the part of Holy Schist which crosses into his property be vacated (not used by park visitors) by the end of summer this year.

Today, Kevin Swenson and Park Ranger Megan reviewed the proposed trail reroute for the boundary adjustment which Gary and I flagged earlier this spring. He has granted his official OK to begin construction.

This trail reroute will need to be complete by sometime in July to keep the trail around the mound open for the remainder of the riding season. Accordingly, this is now our top priority. It will be our focus for the June 7th workday.

In additional news, Blue Mound and several other state parks will be opened to pulpwood logging operations. This is your state legislature's direct orders to the DNR.

Remember this next time you go to vote.

Walt

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

May 18, 2014, 08:46 PM

In additional news, Blue Mound and several other state parks will be opened to pulpwood logging operations.
    Wow. Hard to believe this is happening. With the major fuss being made about the nitact ecosystems out there, native plant species, etc, it is hard to believe that they are doing this.
    It seems to me that a little trail going through the woods and people riding bikes has just about an immeasurable impact comparatively, I would think.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

May 18, 2014, 09:49 PM

In additional news, Blue Mound and several other state parks will be opened to pulpwood logging operations.
    Wow. Hard to believe this is happening. With the major fuss being made about the nitact ecosystems out there, native plant species, etc, it is hard to believe that they are doing this.
    It seems to me that a little trail going through the woods and people riding bikes has just about an immeasurable impact comparatively, I would think.

As unhappy as I am about the issue with loosing access to build new trail, I have to say logging the forest in state parks is a bigger problem. Do I need to even say I'm not anti-logging? There are 10s of thousands of acres of state forests that are suitable. This plan would have to work hard to rise to the level of stupid and short sighted.

Walt

XXX

May 28, 2014, 02:34 PM

Why is Blue Mounds allowing a trail run/race to occur on the mountain bike trails yet we still aren't allowed to ride them...even though we built them? They were allowing runners on the trails as of last weekend, likely causing much more damage than a rolling bike tire.

June 7 has a trail run scheduled and they are utilizing Overlode and part of Gneiss & Smooth as the course. Race starts at 8:30 am. Will this affect the trail day?

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 28, 2014, 04:22 PM

Jeff, I appreciate and understand your concern.

Keeping the trails closed to mountain bike traffic is a joint decision by us and the park staff.

This is the Friends group that is doing the trail run. They have done a lot for the park, including paying for a good chunk of the new shelter, equipment, and they have helped us out in the past. They always have the trail run on Trails Day.

I'm not sure why we consider that day to be good for the workday other than its free admission to the park and free access to the trails. And there's a chance the trails will be dry enough to work on. And we forget. The last time we had our workday on Trails Day we had maybe 10 people show up, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I'm not sure if they would consider canceling the trail run if the conditions are not favorable. I have yet to ever see the run do any damage to the trail. Also, the part of the singletrack they use generally dries faster than some other parts.

If we stop getting work thrown at us in the form of emergency reroutes that threaten to close parts of the trail, we'll continue working on the problem areas to improve drainage or reroute around it. That and improving flow are probably our two biggest goals in the short term.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

May 29, 2014, 07:20 AM

Why is Blue Mounds allowing a trail run/race to occur on the mountain bike trails yet we still aren't allowed to ride them...even though we built them? They were allowing runners on the trails as of last weekend, likely causing much more damage than a rolling bike tire.

June 7 has a trail run scheduled and they are utilizing Overlode and part of Gneiss & Smooth as the course. Race starts at 8:30 am. Will this affect the trail day?

I don't know why the trail runners are allowed to use the trails when they are closed to bicyclists. This is a decision by park management, and they didn't consult me. Probably, like the bike race at Cam-Rock (and everywhere else), the date is picked months in advance and they are faced with a go/no-go choice on race day. If they choose to cancel the race, they have to refund all the race fees. It's not like we derive no benefit, the Friends of Blue Mound State Park have contributed more money to building the bike trails than CORP has.

I will point out that trail runners have contributed as much or more labor than bicyclists in building the single track at Blue Mound in recent years, so you are wrong to imply they get privileges and don't contribute.

The park manager has asked me several times this spring if I thought the trails could be opened, and I've told him no because I've been out checking and there are several wet areas. I'm not happy with this either, and hopefully after the latest emergency trail work is complete I can go back to fixing some of the chronically wet areas.

Walt

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

June 06, 2014, 01:38 PM

FWIW, the park staff changed the sign on the closing gate at the trail head to include pedestrian use.

Also, the trails the runners will be on will be in decent shape by Saturday morning, I don't foresee any issues.  If anything, the foot traffic will be good for them.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

June 12, 2014, 06:49 PM

Here's where we stand on the trail work for 2014.

I had to halt work on the Serpentine Climb reroute in order to get going on the boundary adjustment reroute. Just like old times, at the intersection go left to return to the parking lot, and right to continue on around the mound. Be aware it's a completely different intersection than before. If you continue on the reroute, it joins onto the old Basalt and Pepper bail out.

The boundary adjustment reroute in Holy Schist is mostly roughed in. If you ride it, be prepared for gaping holes where rocks have been removed. As of June 12th, we have a finished tread on the first 75 yards only. The old trail is open until either the end of July or the reroute is finished, whichever comes first. If riding over Joe's Nose is something special to you, do it in the next 7 weeks.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

June 13, 2014, 07:23 PM

I added another 90 yards or so of finished trail to the property line reroute on Holy Schist.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

June 13, 2014, 09:08 PM

Walt you are a one man wrecking machine. That is some top shelf singletrack you are laying down.

~ i like social d

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

June 14, 2014, 08:10 AM

I've ridden Copper Harbor and Brown County (thanks Gary!) recently. Blue Mound isn't like either of these places exactly, but it's interesting to think about what could be done similar to those places.

The trails at Blue Mound ended up as they are for a bunch of reasons. Among the bad ones are poor layout (resulting in erosion), and a general exhaustion in dealing with the rocks. It's easy, at least in theory, to do a better job with these aspects of trail building by being more careful with trail layout, and just working harder making tread.

The interesting question to me is, will the application of these ideas change for the worse what makes Blue Mound special?

The flippant answer is, there's not enough hours remaining in my lifetime to change all the trail anyhow, so why worry?

The better answer is, I'm running an ongoing experiment in building better trails. I'm learning as I go by dealing with the worst problems first. So far, what I'm seeing leads me to believe:

-While big rocks are interesting and fun to ride over, small rocks don't add much to the trail riding experience. Your favorite rock may have to go. Sorry.
    -Lots of roots exposed in the trail mean the soil is washing away. It's not getting better without intervention.
    -Tight and twisty is easy to overdo, I like to be able to see what's ahead on the trail. Also, it's less work overall to have the brush trimmed back from the trail.
    -It feels punishing to ride to the top of a hill, then have to stay on the brakes going back down because the trail is so difficult. My solution is going to be to clean up at least some of the downhills.
    -Cutting tread isn't just scratching off the brush and leaves and sticks. The top soil layer has to come off too.
    -There is endless use for fill. See above. Filling in holes left by removing rocks, and building switchbacks are the biggest ones.
    -Real trails have real switchback turns. If the tail is going to have correct overall grade, it's has to be reversed across the fall line, repeatedly. Climbing turns don't hold up in most cases. Properly built switchbacks do. Too bad it's a lot of work.
    -The places that can't be rerouted and have bad (organic) soil combined with lots of seepage have to be dug out and filled with crushed rock (turnpiking). My least favorite solution, but so far, it works where no lesser effort has.
    -Trail outslope isn't nearly as important, or fun, as grade reversals.

The short of it is, yes, I'm changing things. But it takes a long long time to do the work, so there will be plenty of time to see how it's developing and do a better job as work progresses.

Walt

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

June 15, 2014, 07:45 AM

http://dirtmountainbike.com/featured/truth-trails-smarten-dont-dumb.html

Saw this in my Facebook feed, pretty interesting even if it's not perfectly written.

XXX

June 16, 2014, 09:33 AM

Walt, I agree with your thoughts a sustainable trail that allows for less maintenance and for a trail that opens faster after a rain would be most welcome.

Four of us did all the trials in the park including Pokerville Saturday. It is a beautiful place with unique terrain, I think there is plenty to be had for all skill levels. I'm fine losing a few of favorite rocks :) if in it's place I can ride it more often and stay off the brakes because the downhills are updated. We just need more time and money!!

Gary, thanks for the article.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

June 17, 2014, 08:34 AM

This week at Blue Mound.

Gary and I rode Monday night. We covered Beginner, Over Lode, Chert Dip, Serpentine Climb, Holy Schist, and Home Stretch. There are a few trees down and the weeds are getting tall in places. But the trail had dried up nicely.

Gary is planning to cut downed trees this week. I'm hoping to start in on the weeds in Over Lode. We have a new Stihl hedge trimmer with the long reach, adjustable angle head. I'll be keeping it at the park. If you want to help with weed cutting, post here or PM me and I'll set you up.

I plan to be at Blue Mound on this coming Saturday, June 21st between 9AM and 4PM to do more tread work on the boundary adjustment reroute. Since we have a rideable roughed in trail. I have the time to work with a small number of individuals interested in learning to hand build better quality trail.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

June 20, 2014, 09:25 AM

Due to the continuing wet weather, I'm no longer planning to cut tread on Saturday. There has been lots of weed growth though, so I'll cut weeds. I got to try out the new hedge trimmer last night before it rained, and it's a definite improvement over spraying myself with poison ivy using a string trimmer, or wearing myself out with a scythe.

I also need to do some more corridor clearing for the boundary reroute, there are two short sections at the bottom of the hill that we didn't get to on the June 7th work day remaining to be done.

Walt