•  

trail maps

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

July 27, 2014, 09:06 PM

I had a nice ride out there today, thanks to everyone who has been working out there.  One thing I noticed, as someone only vaguely familiar with the trails, is that the trail maps (the ones posted at the kiosk and at intersections) were not much help.  Every one I looked at was faded to the point of illegibility.  I could see getting pretty frustrated if you had never been there before and were trying to find your way around.  (I know you all have alot on your plates, but figure you may never look at the trail maps, so this may be news to you.)

Jon

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 28, 2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks Jon,

I'm aware the maps are badly faded. Also somewhat out of date. Realistically, it's going to be late fall before I can devote any time to this.

Walt

Edit/ I'm thinking of getting rid of the comprehensive maps that show the entire trail system with every ski trail and road intersection. Back when I first installed them, the feedback I got was nobody could figure them out. The sum total of responses I've gotten is everyone hates the maps. I think the solution is to have one simplified map of the basic trail loops at the trail head (see attachment).

Then the intersections will have colored arrows like the ones I installed where Over Lode joins back into the beginner section (see attachment). /Edit

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:04 PM by Walt Hougas »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

July 28, 2014, 10:18 PM

Getting rid of the ski and hiking trails would add clarity, but I would leave the roads in; they kind of orient everything and give some perspective as to where you are in the park, and can't really be mistaken for a bike trail.

I would also have the maps at the major intersections (I see maybe three spots).  That way, those of us who can't remember which color arrows we were following can refresh our memories, and it is easier for folks who are having a better or worse time than they expected to change their plans.

The arrows seem like a good idea, and would have helped more if I had seen this color-coded map and understood the arrows' colors correspondence to it.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 29, 2014, 12:37 PM

Getting rid of the ski and hiking trails would add clarity, but I would leave the roads in; they kind of orient everything and give some perspective as to where you are in the park, and can't really be mistaken for a bike trail.

I would also have the maps at the major intersections (I see maybe three spots).  That way, those of us who can't remember which color arrows we were following can refresh our memories, and it is easier for folks who are having a better or worse time than they expected to change their plans.

The arrows seem like a good idea, and would have helped more if I had seen this color-coded map and understood the arrows' colors correspondence to it.

Jon,

It's a work in progress.

The trails around the mound have a post at least every 400 yards with a tiny map showing a "You are here" symbol, mileage to and from the trailhead, and an emergency alpha-numeric code tied to a datasheet held by park management and local EMS services. I put a load of hours into this project at the request of the park manager because he wants a system they can use to haul incapacitated trail users out to a waiting ambulance.

The short of it is, I'm not lacking for ideas to make a better trail marking system. I get lots of suggestions about how I can do a better job, but few offers of help with the routine stuff, like cutting weeds, that would free up my time to deal with them.

I will put up an explanation of how to use the color coded arrows at the kiosk, that has been an oversight on my part. I will replace the color coded arrows that have been taken down or damaged due to weather.

Thank you,
    Walt