•  

Summer 2013

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

June 24, 2013, 07:20 AM

It will dry enough to ride Blue Mound eventually, even though we have had nothing but wet weather so far this year. Here's what is going to be occupying me in the upcoming weeks.

- Park Manager Kevin Swenson was recently surprised to find that a short segment of bike trail in Holy Schist was accidentally built over the property line on the neighbor's land. There's a large rock feature on the maps called "Joe's Nose" that is very close to the place that will have to be rerouted.

-The wet weather means that weeds are growing into the trails we can't currently ride. I'll be out with the scythe soon to go on the offensive. Priorities start with Over Lode in the area near the bridge, then the power line cut on the upper part of the trail. Then on to Chert Dip and Pokerville.

-I am guessing there are several new trees down on various parts of the trail due to the high winds from last weekend's storms. This will wait until I can ride and locate them.

-The rescue sign project will be moving into Over Lode later this summer. Similarly to the signs I made for the main loop last year, these will have From/To trailhead distances, a basic map showing where the post is on the current trail, and an an alpha numeric code to relay to the park management/local ambulance services for rescue of disabled riders.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has cooperated in staying off the wet trails. It truly sucks loosing so much of this year's riding season. What sucks worse is having the trails deeply rutted and channeling even more water.

Walt

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

June 24, 2013, 11:41 AM

Yes it has been a tough season for all of us. It makes my suffering from the hand injuries a little more bearable though ??? I figure I am not missing the "great" riding.
    And of course you are spot on about not riding on wet trails. Rutting the trail will just make it worse for everyone, and take the trails even longer to dry and be fun to ride again.
    I guess we have to remember last year when we had perfect conditions most of the year. I know from the first week of May through late fall not a single Monday Night Ride was called for weather. Different story this year for sure.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

June 24, 2013, 04:07 PM

I've been meaning to thank you for the signage around the mound Walt. Its great, and was really helpful in the one ride I did get in this season.