•  

Trail update 14Jul2013

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 14, 2013, 08:15 PM

I've had a chance to look at the entire bike trail system at Blue Mound over the weekend. Here's what I've found:

Over Lode-Has the worst damage from the mid-June storms. Crossings #1 and #3 are washed out (have a deep water channel cut through and not they are currently not rideable by mortal humans.) The weeds have been cut ~0-1 mile, and 2-4 mile. The portion of the trail between crossing #2 and #3 has not been cut and the sight lines are poor. As of 13Jul2013, all deadfall has been cleared from the trail.

Beginner Section-Weeds are not much of a problem. Still tacky in the usual places. My memory is a little vague, but I think there are 2 trees down on the trail after the first road crossing.

Chert Dip-The weeds are cut back nicely due to the Work And Ride crew's efforts on Saturday. There's at least one tree down on the trail. The crossings are in good shape.

Serpentine Climb-More soil washed out, more roots exposed. No surprise here. The bail outs are in acceptable condition.

Holy Schist-The weeds are cut in the first 1/2 mile. Multiple trees down.

Home Stretch-Weeds are encroaching, but otherwise OK.

Pokerville-Several trees down, but nothing new since late last fall/early spring. The weed growth is choking out all signs of the trail in places, and there are many raspberry canes. All but one crossing made it through the heavy rain intact. The one that has been damaged is still rideable, but the penalty for failure on one side has become pretty high.

Walt

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

July 14, 2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the report and your efforts, and thanks also to those who helped out the past few days.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 16, 2013, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the report and your efforts, and thanks also to those who helped out the past few days.
    x2. Great effort out there. Good to see Blue Mound getting some love :-*

~ Chuck Hutchens