•  

Military Ridge State Trail

February 09, 2014, 11:05 PM

I know riding on snowmobile trails has been done covered here before, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about riding Military Ridge specifically?  The trail is open to snowmobile, cross country skiing and snowmobiling.  I couldn't find anything saying that bikes were not allowed during the winter, so I assume they are?  Also I'm just talking about the trail itself, so nothing is on private land.

I biked from my house to Blue Mounds to Quarry Ridge and back yesterday (Saturday).  Every time I heard a snowmobile (almost always a long ways off), I just pulled to the side which was totally fine for most of the ride, but it got a little annoying during some of the more busy sections/times.  There were also a couple of places where I was too close to the highway making it harder to hear, or other times the sight lines weren't as good as I would like them to be.  I'm not complaining though since I have them to thank for keeping the snow packed and rideable.  I'm curious if anyone else has biked on Military Ridge in the winter and knows when the best times are to avoid snowmobilers or has any advice for coexisting with them?  I assume morning or early afternoon on a weekday would have been much better?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:07 PM by mccarthy »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 10, 2014, 11:54 PM

I think you are doing everything to coexist and be safe as best you can. As for best times for low traffic it is like most things. Do it when others l want to or can't. When it is crappy outside. If it is really cold. Early in the morning. The only difference here is that the trails will be busy at night. That is prime bar-hopping time.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    singletrackminx

February 12, 2014, 03:19 PM

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 12, 2014, 03:40 PM

Quote from the article...

"Winter bicycling is allowed on DNR state trails that allow bicycling at other times of the year unless that trail is also currently open to and groomed for cross-country skiing."

Sounds like Military Ridge is fair game.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

February 12, 2014, 05:23 PM

Quote from the article...

"Winter bicycling is allowed on DNR state trails that allow bicycling at other times of the year unless that trail is also currently open to and groomed for cross-country skiing."

Sounds like Military Ridge is fair game.
    It would have been more helpful for them to just list the trails that were open.