•  

Bike & Trail Committee

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 03, 2012, 09:57 AM

Bike & Trail Committee will be a topic at the Blackhawk board meeting 6/4. This is to light a spark or reconstitute the committee that has managed the biking and trails in the past. Members will work on the sport of riding, managing the trails, and community.

You can express your interest to me or attend the June board meeting. The Blackhawk Ski Club Board of Directors meets on the first Monday each month at Baymont Hotel on Excelsior Drive from 7 to 9 p.m.

XXX

June 03, 2012, 12:14 PM

I'll be there. Everyone that can come should come. We need to show the blackhawk board that there is a large group of people committed to blackhawk mtbing

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 03, 2012, 01:41 PM

I'll be there. Everyone that can come should come. We need to show the blackhawk board that there is a large group of people committed to blackhawk mtbing

My suggestion is don't present anything to the board until the committee is organized.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

June 03, 2012, 09:39 PM

Will I sent you an email. But I agree with Will in that I think getting a committee together is a good idea. Plus as the MTB chair at BH the buck stops at him so.....ya.

Either way this weekend the Chainsmokers uncovered lots of great sustainable old trail to link up, no having to build new stuff!!! More time riding!!!! Awesomesauce. :)

Its amazing what has been forgotten over time.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 03, 2012, 10:23 PM

Who's organizing the committee?  It is going to be a bit of a challenge to get one together and come up with something to present before tomorrow evening, and if we wait until July, the xc trails are going to be long past unrideable; I rode there today and they are getting close now.

I can't make tomorrow's meeting, but would be willing to get together with some folks to get the ball rolling.  While I don't know all the politics of the downhill scene, and I don't have strong opinions on the "sport of riding" or "community" aspects Will mentioned, I do know that if we don't get a group of people out to clean up some trail, it won't be worth going out there, at least from a xc perspective.

Jon

XXX

June 03, 2012, 10:58 PM

That was my thought too jon, we cant wait until july.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 04, 2012, 06:58 AM

Tom, are you around on the 16th?  That would be the best Saturday for me this month to work out there.  If so, we should plan on that.  And a couple of us should get together before then to plan

Will, you should tell the board that there will be a work day this month, and that we need someone to publicize it through the BH website and e-mail lists.  The two main focusses of the workday should be getting existing trail cleared and judging interest in the "programs," (i.e. xc, downhill, family, etc) based on who shows up.  Then we will have something to tell the board in July, and can start to make meaningful decisions about what to do next.

Jon

XXX

June 04, 2012, 07:15 AM

Yep im here then. Except its the morning after my 21st birthday... I could probably be out there by 12 or 1.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 04, 2012, 08:52 AM

That was my thought too jon, we cant wait until july.

The committee can be organized in days, it has started.

What can't wait is stopping and repair of poor and dangerous trail building. You only have past and present board members micro managing because the committee stopped functioning, and the word to freeriders about doing things right and work with the whole club is a year old. All of money, machines, tools and dirt have been offered and some continue to work outside of that.

Those who want jumps, berms, and cool stuff risk being their own worst enemy if they don't do things the way the whole club is run. You have to remember the club is a family of hundreds of members with distinct sports and well-managed programs. Biking and trails need to be on board and manage their interests like the other sports.

The complaints about trails and riders come to me. Every one of the complaints I looked into last week would have been a non-issue if the diggers were doing good work, communicating, and using the money, machine, tools and dirt offered.

It is so simple. There's budget, machines, tools, and dirt. All that has to be done is be organized and communicate in the way the alpine, biathlon, jumping and Nordic groups are.

Thank you.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 11, 2012, 07:11 AM

No work day on the 16th; go to Cam Rocks.  Should be one in the next couple weeks.  Stay tuned.

Jon