•  

Quarry Park

May 21, 2012, 04:01 PM

Well thats dissapointing. Its definitely not being retired by a biker but i could see how other users of the park would think it was too big.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge
    Trail Steward

May 23, 2012, 01:07 PM

I was just over there and saw that. Bummer
    As soon as it rains I was planning on fixing it, unless you beat me to it.
    Favorite of mine too. I have noticed 2 other jumps with
    logs in them that have ripped up. Pat fixed one and I fixed another.
    I have have been trying to only build with dirt and rocks. Seems to work.
    Someone worked on the end of my new jump line a bit. Thanks
    mike

XXX

May 23, 2012, 04:07 PM

That was me, hope you like it. Not quite polished yet. Mike, i dont think we've met but we need to.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 24, 2012, 09:40 PM

All the recent work at QP is excellent; that's coming from an old cross-country rider.

While riding there today, I noticed the sign for the neighborhood plan, which includes changes to the park.  Has anyone been following that process?  There is one paragraph on QP on page 92 of the 173 page neighborhood plan ( ).  Mostly it seems like upgrades to parking, signage, and maintenance; the plan retains the "unique biking trails," but the map doesn't reflect the current trails particularly well.  Just wondering if anyone has a feel for how much attention QP is getting in the process.  I would consider going to the meeting next Wednesday, but I don't do meetings well, and it seems possible that nothing relevant would even come up, so I am not sure if I want to spend my evening listening to discussions of traffic and zoning.

Jon

XXX

May 24, 2012, 10:38 PM

I might try to go, i havent heard anything about the city doing anything at quarry park

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 25, 2012, 06:32 AM

All the recent work at QP is excellent; that's coming from an old cross-country rider.

While riding there today, I noticed the sign for the neighborhood plan, which includes changes to the park.  Has anyone been following that process?  There is one paragraph on QP on page 92 of the 173 page neighborhood plan ( ).  Mostly it seems like upgrades to parking, signage, and maintenance; the plan retains the "unique biking trails," but the map doesn't reflect the current trails particularly well.  Just wondering if anyone has a feel for how much attention QP is getting in the process.  I would consider going to the meeting next Wednesday, but I don't do meetings well, and it seems possible that nothing relevant would even come up, so I am not sure if I want to spend my evening listening to discussions of traffic and zoning.

Jon

I might try to go, i havent heard anything about the city doing anything at quarry park

Pages 87 & 92 community gardens and establish friends group means anybody interested in preserving Quarry Park riding or the park with any resemblance to current has to organize and make new friends now or yesterday. The making new friends now or yesterday includes filling the blank draft pages titled "Bike and Pedestrian Facilities".

Hearing about doing anything at the park could be too late and especially when it's in a 173 page master plan for the neighborhood. Thus, my suggestion is getting people with passion and knowledge of the park at least organized to the extent that recreational biking is part of the blank draft pages titled "Bike and Pedestrian Facilities".

That's a master plan so you might be waving goodby to your riding as you know it if that document is saved again without draft in the title and sufficient content for mountain biking inside.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

May 25, 2012, 07:23 AM

"The mountain bike trails would be unique feature to promote in this park."

Sounds to me like we should get involved. Getting "in" with the City of Madison would be a critical component of our future legitimacy.

~ i like social d

XXX

May 25, 2012, 08:16 AM

What is this meeting youre talking about on wednesday jon? I definitely want to go and it would be great if others came too.

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge
    Trail Steward

May 25, 2012, 01:03 PM

I will go to the meeting if someone can post when and where it is.
    I was just out at Quarry Park and saw no signs about this.

thanks

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 26, 2012, 10:47 PM

I am not sure the meeting is the best place to deal with this.  There are 172 pages of other crap that will be talked about that will not be very interesting to those of is who don't live in the neighborhood (I avoid my own neighborhood planning meetings if at all possible).  I also contacted my alder, whose district includes QP, and she tells me that the park has not been a lively source of discussion, folks just want it to be a little less scruffy.  That said, since none of us had heard about it, our interests have likely not been terribly well represented.  Though someone has recognized that the trails are of enough value to include them in the plan.

My re-reading of the page in the plan suggests two actions.  The first is to make sure we are represented in the yet to be formed Friends of Quarry Park.  I am happy to be a part of that, and will ask around to find out the current nature of that groups; I'll post back when I know more.  The second would be to confirm and/or re-establish our current relationship with the City.  My understanding has always been that anyone can build anything that doesn't involve lumber or fasteners, but I don't know how formal that agreement is our who it was made between.  If anyone has knowledge of that, speak up.

The city site for the neighborhood plan is here; http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/HoytParkPlan/.   It has a couple contacts and information about Wednesday's meeting, but alot of the stuff us pretty out of date.  I will ask around a little more to suss out how important it would be to go to the meeting and let you all know, but I have a hard time believing it would be time well spent.

It might not hurt to have a well-publisised trash-picking-up, weed-pulling and brush-trimming morning to spread our goodwill, if anyone is up for that.  And always yield to and be friendly with other users of the park; hell hath no fury like a pissed off bird-watcher.

Jon

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 26, 2012, 10:50 PM

Here are the exact words of Shiva, my alder:

You are correct that the recommendations have all been about sprucing it up and maintaining and enhancing it as a mountain bike trail user park. No major changes have been recommended.

XXX

May 26, 2012, 11:58 PM

Sounds great. To my knowlege there is no formal agreement, but I could be missing something that happened before my time.

XXX

May 28, 2012, 11:45 PM

I would be careful not to get to invloved but I think it would be good if someone went to see what's happening.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 29, 2012, 09:20 PM

My continued impression is that tomorrow's meeting will not be meaningful for the future of the park, and that we can all find better ways to spend three hours.  I spoke briefly with one of the founders of the Rocky Bluff Neighborhood Association, which surrounds the park, and among other things, he asked if I wanted to take the lead on forming the Friends of Quarry Park.  Which I may do.  But the sense I get in all my investigations is that any ideas for QP are in very early planning stages, and that it will not be difficult to get involved enough to insure that the our interests are looked after.  I will keep you all posted.

Jon

XXX

May 29, 2012, 09:57 PM

I guess i wont be going to the meeting, but at some point we need to let them know that there is a large group of riders that care and would like to be involved in planning.