•  

A CALL TO ARMS: Stoughton Area Bike Park Needs Your Help!

June 03, 2013, 11:47 AM

Erosion and a lack of maintenance have left the dirt portion of Stoughton Area Bike Park in a poor state. Jump lips are rounded-off, berms are rocky and loose, ruts are embedded from rogue wet-weather riders, and the pump track has nearly faded away.

I'm putting out a call to organize a work group as well as recruit the help of the City of Stoughton and CORP. I'm only one local rider, but I care about the park and would hate to see it closed due to a "townie" perception that it is a lot full of weeds and dirt. This park has the potential to be one of the great riding spots in the area if it could receive the level of care and attention of, say, Middleton's bike park.

After recently watching a piece on Detroit's Brush Park, I'm thinking there is potential to add more creative features to the Stoughton park that would draw a crowd: wall rides, ladder bridges, full-pipes, bowls, you name it. It seems far-fetched, but Stoughton is lucky enough to have a fair amount of industry and potential sponsors. Off the top of my head, Universal Silencer, Stoughton Trailers, Uniroyal stand out.

I'm interested in hearing from the community. CORP, anything you can do, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:51 AM by dogg »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

June 04, 2013, 06:41 AM

I think this park is pretty off the radar for CORP at this point. We have not had anything to do with the development or maintenance of this facility. Not that it needs to stay that way, but that is the current state.
    I am 20 minutes away and have never been there. I have heard of it, and been curious about it, but I would not how to find it.
    I am sure there are many here that would be ready to help out if the situation allows. Is there a local group with this park? How was it built? What is the current plan for maintenance or who is supposed to be responsible for maintenance? Getting organized is key. Otherwise a lot of effort can be put it in. But it can be wasted if there is not buy-in from a group of folks to keep it going. Seems this is what is happening currently there. A few contacts and effort by caring folks like yourself could turn it around if done properly.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 04, 2013, 07:03 AM

Hi,

CORP did donate money a few years ago and some of us who supported that hoped that favor would be returned with joining or following our efforts to be good stewards for the sport.

You will need to build group of stalwart helpers with a wide array of skills - digging, political, fund raising, PR, and more...

To get where we're at in Middleton you will need to be putting in a few hundred hours of time, build budgets, find sponsors and win grants. The first shovel happened almost 5 years after the first hand shake. When the first shovel hit there were bikers AND non-bikers in support along with an annual budget and work plan.

Stoughton is in our Dane County IMBA Chapter area so it's logical to have an association but the effort needs the organization our core efforts and associates have.

Join in our events and efforts, introduce yourself. We do a lot of helping each other out at our properties. I'm sure joining that will help. Our biggest fundraiser and gathering is the race that's coming up. Sign up to help and try to get some more helpers.

The bike shop owners who help our trail locations have told me it's good business but that required a lot of organization (work) from us first.

Feel free to use our forum to build support and bring a proposal to the CORP board. Join the posse.

Good luck!

XXX

June 04, 2013, 01:07 PM

Thanks fo the tips, guys. I've been in contact with the Stoughton Parks and Rec. director and will reach out to my network of folks in the bike industry as well as locals.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 04, 2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks fo the tips, guys. I've been in contact with the Stoughton Parks and Rec. director and will reach out to my network of folks in the bike industry as well as locals.

I can guarantee nothing could help more in the short-term than getting your network to fill the spots mentioned here.

http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=1533.msg

Help on that one will mean you're contributing to our biggest fund raiser of the year - that which lets us own tools, buy insurance, and more.

Add join IMBA and choose CORP as your local chapter. That brings 1/2 your money back here and it makes you voting members of the chapter. Anybody's welcome to join our events and help but voting members are who make up the board of directors, trail stewards, project leaders and determine what we do.

Thank you.

XXX

July 08, 2013, 10:26 PM

I'm in stoughton and ride past this park on my way to work quite often. I have noticed its seemingly grown over state and thought recently about checking it out to see what all is still there. wet weather has kept me away though along with my other hobbies/responsibilities. I would not mind working on the pump track portion of it at some point as that is what really interests me due to my XC background. I never was that into BMX, i'll leave that to those riders.